redirecting to a malware site
Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: redirecting to a malware site  (Read 7845 times)

LEACHY48

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+4)
redirecting to a malware site
« on: January 13, 2020, 07:15:16 PM »

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that if you search for the forum on google and try to follow a link through google it will redirect you to a malware site, so just be careful!

Mattsky

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "Cricket was my reason for living." Harold Larwood
Re: redirecting to a malware site
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 07:31:39 PM »

It's been doing this for ages. Bloody annoying. I think I mentioned it a while back.
"The only thing I've ever been interested in teaching anyone in life is cricket."
Peter O' Toole

Psi

• County 1st XI
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »

Yep, noticed that again this morning. I use a different browser now mostly.

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »

Not sure what cookies you have stored on your phones, but I don't have this issue...
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:32:03 PM »

Not sure what cookies you have stored on your phones, but I don't have this issue...

I've not found it to be an issue on my phone, but can sometimes end up on a funny page if I open the forum through a Google search in incognito mode one a PC

Kulli

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Herr Kaleun
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 09:38:08 PM »

The forums blocked at my work, literally the only page I’ve ever trained to access that has been!
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!

SurreySam

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 10:13:25 PM »

Experienced it loads of times on Desktop.  Also had a lot of trouble registering last year (couple of months), all the questions were right and then one day it just finally accepted them.

Canners

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • go hard or go home
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »

i get this all the bloody time i have to go back and search again and usually works the 3rd or 4th time of trying . This is on the google app on my iphone
I don't know how to put this, but, I'm kind of a big deal.

jimmyca

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 06:21:06 PM »

Just to confirm this is still the case with results from google searches.

Jimbo

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 06:47:23 PM »

Just to confirm this is still the case with results from google searches.

Only happens with my phone when I access via mobile data, not with home WiFi. Don't know if that might give the IT savvy a clue to the solution.

Rez

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 07:53:53 PM »

It sounds like a file on the website hosting server has been compromised. Whoever administers the site needs to address this with the hosting platform which appears to be 123-Reg

Below, I've copied a response from within the thread in the link:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/3197253/link-to-website-redirects-to-spam-site?hl=en

bluequoll
Volunteer Contributor - Google Help Communities
Sep 21, 2019

If a link in Google Search Results redirects, but the website opens correctly using its URL in the browser address bar, the website has almost certainly been hacked with a conditional redirect.

The hack may not be in the website code itself, in which case you won't be able to see anything amiss there.

It's more likely that the hack is in a separate, but legitimate, file named .htaccess on the host server, in the same directory as your website code. Entries in the .htaccess file can control, among other things, basic redirect functionality. In the case of a conditional redirect hack, a malicious entry in the .htaccess can redirect traffic to another site based on the referrer (i.e., which web page the traffic is coming from). For instance, traffic may be redirected to a malicious site only if it's detected as coming from a Google Search results page.

In short, regardless of how this looks, it actually has nothing to do with Google Search results, and is not something that Google has any control over.

If you can't find, or don't have access to, the .htaccess file associated with your website, you'll need to talk with your hosting provider to help sort out the issue.

In any case, for specialized assistance with webmaster/website issues:
Visit the Search Console Help Center or
Ask in the Webmasters Help Community

Rez

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 10:25:20 AM »

Is anyone ever going to sort this out? Really annoying when I forget and pretty sure this will put a huge number of people off visiting the site!

It clearly is the issue that I posted above. You can test it easily by searching for 'custom bat forum' in google and then another search engine like yahoo. The dodgy redirect is only from the google search return entries.

LEACHY48

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 10:46:06 AM »

Probably not, been an issue for years and back then I got told it wasn't an issue lol

Bungle

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 11:50:36 AM »

I wasn't able to actually register on this site because I thought it had shut down because of the redirects.

Rez

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2023, 01:51:05 PM »

Probably not, been an issue for years and back then I got told it wasn't an issue lol

Don't know who you spoke to Leachy but they either couldn't be bothered or didn't have a clue :-)

It really shouldn't be that difficult. Whoever administers the webserver needs to search for the file named .htaccess and look for something similar to

[Redirect /path/to/old/file/old.html https://www.dodgysite.com/new/file/new.html]

It is an issue and is not acceptable to be ignored as greatly affects the reputation of a website.

Advertise on CBF