CBFs Best Threads
Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: CBFs Best Threads  (Read 11746 times)

t2ylo

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
CBFs Best Threads
« on: November 07, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »

I’m currently very bored.
As I am sure many of us will be in Lockdown II
I find it quite hard to always find topics and threads to pique my interest...
So I was wondering if anyone wanted to post a few of their all time favourite/greatest threads below
Or if there are any questions you have been thinking of asking
I’ll kick off with... are there any female contributors on CBF?
If this is in the wrong place feel free to move it but a trip down memory lane would fill some time without cricket (or the pub)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 01:50:05 PM by t2ylo »

Jimbo

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: CBFs Best Threads
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 02:40:00 PM »

I will confess to enjoying a browse through the old "Your *insert year* Kit" threads. Interesting to see how the various kit fads develop and which brands have come and gone.

In terms of questions, I've found myself buying bats from a string of different makers despite finding several brands who gave excellent customer service and sorted me a brilliant bat.

So, what's everyone's preference: new stick from a new maker to try out as many as possible or find one you really like and stick with one brand?

Billie

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 02:46:00 PM »

Some of the drama from the old days was highly amusing. I'm naming no names, but there were some scandals!

I also like the old kit threads. Funny how bats like the Kookaburra Kahuna were once so highly regarded, and how that has changed over time, and the same with brands. Especially Puma etc.

alba caerulea

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »

I'll name names - shaq harris. Quite alot of humorous drama around this character including bats lost in a supposed kitchen fire and then appealing for financial support. Turns out he was just robbing people. Dont think anyone was shocked. Hopefully people got their money back

There was a female international Dutch player (apologies, forgotten the name) who posted for a brief while but there was some very crude/borderline sexist comments around the same time, unrelated to her, and she stopped posting. Shame as she played to a higher equivalent standard than most of us and had some interesting things to say.

I personally used to enjoy the Q&A threads that certain Brands offered from time to time. And anything related to bat industry knowledge

t2ylo

• County 1st XI
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »

I like all the bat maker threads. So jealous of the skills on display.

The very seen Northern Monkey & Edge bats in action first hand and they both performed great.

The eBay thread alone must have cost me £££s

Also the ongoing moaning about Chris Woakes, Jos Buttler & Mo Ali makes me roll my eyes... but it’s all about opinions I guess

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »

'Who makes bats for who' speculation/ knowledge sharing threads. (Often scoffed at by posters found (not very) subtly dropping hints about who makes bats for who on other threads.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 05:10:01 PM by Bats_Entertainment »

t2ylo

• County 1st XI
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »

'Who makes bats for who' speculation/ knowledge sharing threads. (Often scoffed at by posters found (not very) subtly dropping hints about who makes bats for who on other threads.)

ThatSS one of my favouriteSS too

SOULMAN1012

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+27)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »

A few years ago was a lot better as there were forum sponsors who contributed and a lot of characters on here as well. Miss my debates with a chap called fast Eddie.

Old seasons kit treads always draw me in.

We used to have meet ups and even matches as a forum side and they were always great even the lead up threads were great

19reading87

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+39)
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »

The meet ups at Vitas were absolutely brilliant. Made some good mates from going to them.

Highest score: 147*          Best bowling: 6-20

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 09:05:19 PM »

It was better when more attention was given to independent batmakers. The site was set-up with the intention of giving them exposure, was it not?

Kulli

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Herr Kaleun
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »

It was better when more attention was given to independent batmakers. The site was set-up with the intention of giving them exposure, was it not?
It’s fairly reliant on them having some input too though. Sponsors on here are, for the most part, inactive.
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 09:08:43 PM »

'Adam Lyth/ Sam Robson/ Alex Hales/ Keaton Jennings etc. are great' threads. Quickly followed by...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:26:15 PM by Bats_Entertainment »

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 09:12:42 PM »

It’s fairly reliant on them having some input too though. Sponsors on here are, for the most part, inactive.

Possibly because they've witnessed people becoming increasingly interested in Gunn & Moore, Gray Nicolls and the like?

When did H4L stop making good bats, for example?

Jimbo

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »

Possibly because they've witnessed people becoming increasingly interested in Gunn & Moore, Gray Nicolls and the like?

H4L still make cracking bats but as far as I know they aren't for someone on a budget whereas before Matt built the company up they were significantly cheaper I believe?

I take your point though, there's definitely a lot more discussion of forum brands in older threads.

alba caerulea

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 09:30:25 PM »

It works both ways. When H4L and Paul Aldred had a regular presence on the forum their bats were popular. When they stopped, less so. Doesnt mean they dont make good bats, they just sell less to forum members because they dont market themselves here.

A fairly basic sales concept

Some super newish makers on the forum at the moment and I have just purchased from one due to their regular presence and posts. And will use others in future

Pages: [1] 2 3

Advertise on CBF