Unusual pad designs/techologies
Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unusual pad designs/techologies  (Read 1812 times)

gihanrat

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Unusual pad designs/techologies
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 04:24:18 PM »

I remeber when they had the original kook bubble range in the 90s, they had a pad design with a big round "bubble" in the piddle of the pad. Was this an air cushion, or just cosmetics? Any other air cushion type pad designs from the ages that anyone remembers?

Ayrtek Cricket

• Forum Sponsor
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • www.AyrtekCricket.com
    • Ayrtek Cricket
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2024, 10:46:15 PM »

I wouldn’t have thought so as most likely just padding and a design feature

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 10:46:03 AM »

I've mostly been following the Test series on the radio, but I see Jaiswal has been wearing Morrant Ultralites.

gihanrat

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 06:39:16 AM »

I've mostly been following the Test series on the radio, but I see Jaiswal has been wearing Morrant Ultralites.

Following a line of former/current Indian master batters....

I saw an interesting view of the pads from front on in some of the video fottage, and it looks like he might have some kind of rectangular "shield" just under the front facing of the pad - is this a modification (wonder if anyone who has a pair of the ultralites can confirm)?. There was talk previously of these moulded pads having extra rebound- has this been why these pads seem to have been more popular in the subcontinent than elsewhere (where pitches generally slower than say Australia, etc, albeit it more spinners in the FC scene in the subcontinent, greater chance of bat-pad catches!)??

In the past, people have mentioned sticking in armguards into their pads - anyone doing anything similar now, or are current pads sufficiently protective? Any other mods people have tried?

And actually, anyone suffered a severe lower leg injury despite the full protection of their pads?

procricket

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+33)
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 09:30:49 AM »

I remeber when they had the original kook bubble range in the 90s, they had a pad design with a big round "bubble" in the piddle of the pad. Was this an air cushion, or just cosmetics? Any other air cushion type pad designs from the ages that anyone remembers?

My favourite pads ever were Gray Nicolls Test Opener and they had a “air cushioned principle” in 1994 but I don’t think they had any extra tech in them they started using plastzote in the front of the padding to take the shock out but I can’t remember any real innovation to them apart from the PU was absolute quality compared to todays pads.
"Doubt whoever but never doubt yourself"

jonny77

• International Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2024, 11:19:17 AM »

My favourite pads ever were Gray Nicolls Test Opener and they had a “air cushioned principle” in 1994 but I don’t think they had any extra tech in them they started using plastzote in the front of the padding to take the shock out but I can’t remember any real innovation to them apart from the PU was absolute quality compared to todays pads.

I remember these, great pads. Although I never really understood the air cushioning and thought it was just a gimmick. As from memory it was simply 3 bolsters going across the inside of the pad horizontally on the shin area, with the usual vertical bolster against it with some plastic against the three bolsters to give the 'cushion'. There was nowhere to everything trap any air if memory serves, so it would have just disapated you'd think. I could be wrong tho. Yesterday is sometimes a long time ago, let alone 1994! 😆

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2024, 11:19:24 AM »

Following a line of former/current Indian master batters....

Yes, but unusual to see the Morrant branding in recent times?

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2024, 04:15:14 PM »

* Online Stockist have what looks like they might be the modified version you are talking about.

There is a good picture of Jaiswal on page 31 of this month's Cricketer.

gihanrat

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2024, 06:02:47 PM »

* Online Stockist have what looks like they might be the modified version you are talking about.

There is a good picture of Jaiswal on page 31 of this month's Cricketer.

The one that Jaiswal uses seems to have extra padding on at least the front (right) pad - prob not unusual for international players to have modded softs given the pace they can potentially face as opposed to the Sun league dibbly dobbies! At least from the top view.

https://www.planetsport.com/image-library/og/1600/1222512_yashasvi-jaiswal-running-between-wickets.webp

gihanrat

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2024, 06:10:11 PM »

Yes, but unusual to see the Morrant branding in recent times?

Agree, although I remember in more "recent" times, similar pads from other manufacturers were used by some international players (Hashim Amla using moulded BAS pads, and Ravi Bopara using a GM moulded pad). Maybe Jaiswal picked up a bargain from Morrant when over in the UK? :D

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2024, 07:23:16 PM »

Agree, although I remember in more "recent" times, similar pads from other manufacturers were used by some international players (Hashim Amla using moulded BAS pads, and Ravi Bopara using a GM moulded pad). Maybe Jaiswal picked up a bargain from Morrant when over in the UK? :D

No, Indians were often using actual Morrant Ultralites without logos, or with logos covered. Most famously, Sachin, of course.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 07:26:17 PM by Bats_Entertainment »

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner

hazant0803

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2024, 07:02:57 AM »

My favourite are those old puma pads mccullum use to wear like big WK pads always wanted a pair

bigboss

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2024, 04:44:51 AM »

Moonwalkr are known for their unusual design ... https://moonwalkr.com/products/moonwalkr-leg-guards-2-0

I've got the moonwalkr pads. They're quite light and comfortable to wear.

Whispering Death

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+38)
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2024, 05:46:33 PM »

I've got the moonwalkr pads. They're quite light and comfortable to wear.

Can I ask if you're UK based?? If so...where did you buy them? Can't find anywhere reasonable in the UK
Pages: 1 [2]

Advertise on CBF