Your 2024 season
Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Your 2024 season  (Read 884 times)

SOULMAN1012

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+27)
Your 2024 season
« on: April 17, 2024, 07:47:20 PM »

So season about to start. Not a great start for me personally.

Pre-season friendly sat just gone bowled well 8/2/2/37

When batting opened up and 2nd over opening partner smashed one back I turned but raised my arm I think and got hit flush on the point of the elbow just above my Ayrtek arm guard and resulting in a hairline crack or fracture to my elbow so I’ll be missing start of the season. Only good news was opener was using a Willow & Wand so none breaking power in my bats lol.

Shame as I think this is first time ever I’ll be missing through injury and that’s how it was caused

For those starting this weekend hope it goes well for you. Main thing just enjoy your cricket

DiscoStu

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your 2024 season
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 01:38:22 PM »

Enjoyment is the key. Last season we were in a relegation battle and I wilted under the pressure. Getting out cheaply playing silly shots, trying to bowl magic balls etc.

I'm very much in the twilight of my playing days so I want to enjoy it.

Some decent weather would be welcome too.

Jimbo

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 03:32:13 PM »

Enjoyment is the key. Last season we were in a relegation battle and I wilted under the pressure. Getting out cheaply playing silly shots, trying to bowl magic balls etc.

I'm very much in the twilight of my playing days so I want to enjoy it.

Some decent weather would be welcome too.

I found this a lot last year. Games I enjoyed most were largely playing for our bottom team. Standard wasn't great but the skipper had the right idea about how to play amateur cricket, it was a good group of guys playing and it felt like a team.

rickjames

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 07:53:31 PM »

In an OK place ahead of things all starting, and trying to just be positive compared to last year where I barely played. Game feels OK even with own limited ability, and getting some coaching with my batting has definitely helped with giving me a bit of purpose

Still a bit sore with the odd niggle, but with any luck I just manage things as they come.

cobweb1510

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 09:00:23 PM »

We're really excited for this summer. Probably over excited and heading for a fall  ;)

After outstanding progress last year, Ollie's set his sights even higher this year. Having met, and played against, many county age group players last year Ollie has decided he has nothing to fear from them. He thinks he has a good chance to usurp the current age group wicket keeper. To support Ollie, we have- for the first time- spent what feels like an excessive amount of money paying for high quality 1 to 1 coaching through the winter. He has shown a lot of application and seems to have improved significantly. To be honest, it's not being done with any serious expectations of a professional career, but more to keep him learning, working and seeing the improvements as a result. The club pro (also a wicket keeper) was due to arrive this week, but the flight from Dubai has been cancelled. We have been assured he will be offering further coaching over the summer. In addition to his improved technical skill, he has continued to grow and get stronger as a 14 year old compared to a 13 year old last year.

Ollie was top run scorer for the league champion 3rds last year with 220 runs at an average of 22. Obviously decent (3rd top scorer in the league), but room for improvement. Batting for the seconds was hard work- but the team really supported him- ensuring he got plenty of opportunity to bat and never pressuring him for more runs. He scored 80 runs at an average of 9. He also made hard work of batting with the interleague scoring 93 at an average of 16 despite looking like he was going to score a century every game. What was clear last year was inexperience and a lack of technique was causing errors against higher quality bowling. A years experience in both seniors and interleague will help him, and he is expecting to do well. He will be playing U15s this year, but it is very much a secondary consideration- it will be a good chance for him to develop his leadership skills and think about the game.

Targets:
A century for the 3XI
50 for the 2nd XI
Average 30+ in the 3rds
Average 20* in the 2nds.
500 runs in total in senior cricket.

These are pretty arbitrary, but should be a challenge without being unreasonable. If he achieves them, then I think we can look back at the season as showing continuing progress.

I might then be able to persuade his mum that £45 ph for coaching is worthwhile for another winter  :D

rickjames

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 08:44:06 AM »

Couldn't make it up

liscon12

• International Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 08:54:51 AM »

I've never know such a cold and wet start to the season ever, especially in Cumbria. We have had non-stop rain for the last 5 months, meaning our square preparations are about a month behind from what they usually are. We were forced to play on the artificial wicket yesterday and I think it'll be the same for the next couple of weeks.

It was also 8°c but felt like 5...... Why to I play again??
Best Bowling: 7-22        Top Score: 54

LockieEP

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 01:07:18 PM »

Weather has not helped anyone. I retired from league cricket at end of last season as all enjoyment had gone and was waking up pleased when saw it was raining . Now I will watch my lads play most Saturdays and aim of playing a couple of Sunday games a month with them both which I enjoy.
That said, pulled back last week and fear a good few weeks recovery so I think season might start in June for me.

Also strange feeling not getting cricket kit for Christmas or birthday ahead of the season….first time I can remember.

Wish everyone well and enjoy ( when the sun comes out)

rickjames

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 08:21:42 PM »

In a bid to pass the time with my finger fracture (6-8 weeks) I bought some fancy socks from Hard Yards. Ah

FattusCattus

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bend it like Fattus!!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 09:00:04 PM »

I played tonight (as a batsman - ahahaahaha!) and actually quite enjoyed it.

Stopped everything in the the field (that ball is hard man!) and batted quite sensibly for me with a run-a-ball 12.

However, moss-covered slimey astro-wicket was no fun at all, looking forward to playing on dry grass.
If you tolerate this, then your baked goods will be next.

DiscoStu

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 12:32:18 PM »

6-1-22-1 and a DNB.

Not bad. Consistency is my issue at the moment, with at least one buffet ball per over. It was annoying as the bowler at the other end was keeping it incredibly tight and my filth bowling was acting as a pressure release for the batsmen. When I put two decent overs together (when the poor balls went straight to fielders) the wickets started to tumble.

At least I know what to work on at nets.

Advertise on CBF