Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Forum Features  (Read 53070 times)

PedalsMcgrew

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Forum Features
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »

That is true. I stumbled upon this forum while searching for reviews on certain bat. I loved reading through what fellow members have posted and I have learned more about bats from one single source (this forum) than any other sources combined. It took me 10 attempts and 2 moths to become a member. I would not have made so many attempts unless I genuinely enjoyed the forum. Not just posters but readers also contribute. I am sure people post for fellow members to read their opinion. I just feel the idea is a bit discriminatory. I am sure some members who support the idea of 50 posts would have at some point sold to a fellow member with less than 50 posts  :)

Unfortunately your motivation for coming here isn't the same as a great many others who use this place as nothing more than a way to avoid eBay fees. Discriminatory? Of course it is! It's supposed to be.....

So what if I now can't sell to people with less than 50 posts because they can't see the thread? Contrary to what a great many newer members seem to think, buying and selling second hand gear is not the chief reason this forum exists! If making the 'For Sale' thread invisible to new/non members means that people join this forum for the right reasons then I am all for it. And, honestly, if your motivation really is to glean information I cannot understand why you think this is a bad thing at all....unless of course you're not telling the truth?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:32:04 PM by PedalsMcgrew »
Lisa: How's my Rabbit?
Bart: He's dead and dad buried him in the garden, although not in that order..

tim2000s

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • If I only could bat....
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

I'd suggest that too many people may be getting upset over the 50 post rule imposition. Yes, it is discriminatory, but if you are that desperate to buy used cricket gear, you are probably looking on ebay. Likewise, we aren't able to split viewing and posting with less than 50posts.
That's a forum limitation, so this is the approach we have elected to take. We are flexible in how we deal with things, and do review our decisions, but this one stands and isn't up for debate right now.

trypewriter

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »

I think it is a very reasonable rule. One thing that I would mention is that several of the best bat buying bargain threads have been provided by forum sponsors (IJC, UZI, Vitas, Lukeys etc. etc.) and have been open to all.
'His was a cameo of savage cuts and pulls - the tragedy being that none made contact with the ball.'

dmacwana

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »

Unfortunately your motivation for coming here isn't the same as a great many others who use this place as nothing more than a way to avoid eBay fees. Discriminatory? Of course it is! It's supposed to be.....

So what if I now can't sell to people with less than 50 posts because they can't see the thread? Contrary to what a great many newer members seem to think, buying and selling second hand gear is not the chief reason this forum exists! If making the 'For Sale' thread invisible to new/non members means that people join this forum for the right reasons then I am all for it. And, honestly, if your motivation really is to glean information I cannot understand why you think this is a bad thing at all....unless of course you're not telling the truth?  ;)

Whether I am telling the truth or not , I'll leave that for the privileged ones to decide.  ;) Never said it was a bad thing mate , just putting forward a point of view. Anyways just here to make friends and have a good time .   :)

The_Bird

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »

Just a thought I wonder how many people would be active if you banned unsponsored selling completely?

uknsaunders

• Forum Legend
    • Farmers CC
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »

I think it is a very reasonable rule. One thing that I would mention is that several of the best bat buying bargain threads have been provided by forum sponsors (IJC, UZI, Vitas, Lukeys etc. etc.) and have been open to all.

agree and it's a safer way to buy than from somebody in the sales thread. I've counted 3 maybe 4 people with less than 50 posts giving opinions so it's hardly uproar. Good question The_Bird,  I don't think it would make much difference to the "old hands" on the forum.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:42:55 PM by uknsaunders »
email and googletalk: uknsaunders@gmail.com
club website: http://www.farmerscricketjersey.net/

PedalsMcgrew

• International Captain
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »

Whether I am telling the truth or not , I'll leave that for the privileged ones to decide.  ;) Never said it was a bad thing mate , just putting forward a point of view. Anyways just here to make friends and have a good time .   :)

No, you said it was discriminatory and that is exactly what it's supposed to be.... :)

manno

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

Someone take 1 post off this clown  ;) :D

Fair call  :P

But just think about it, before the restrictions, buyers and sellers who's very first post was to buy or sell stuck out like a sore thumb. Fair enough too. But now there's a post limit you can hardly hold it against people for using it...... I mean, seriously, am I going to wait until I've made 5000 posts before I buy or sell just to fool all the engineers and rocket scientists? I may have had something to sell from day dot and have been painfully counting down, or the 50 posts count might purely be incidental. All I'm trying to say is, when does it become a non issue? Say the minimum post count is raised to 500... If my 501st post is a for sale thread am I still fooling anyone?

What about the Wanted section still being able to be viewed? Couldn't lurkers still scan through these and contact people directly?

Anyway.... I promise something special for #50  8)

Buzz

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

What about the Wanted section still being able to be viewed? Couldn't lurkers still scan through these and contact people directly?

yes this is the risk we take, but I am not sure many people would buy something via pm from a user with virtually no posts without protecting themselves somehow.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

uknsaunders

• Forum Legend
    • Farmers CC
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »

excluding the stickers sticky, it took me 17 unread threads to reach a sales thread today. Happy days  :)

PedalsMcgrew

• International Captain
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »

Fair call  :P

But just think about it, before the restrictions, buyers and sellers who's very first post was to buy or sell stuck out like a sore thumb. Fair enough too. But now there's a post limit you can hardly hold it against people for using it...... I mean, seriously, am I going to wait until I've made 5000 posts before I buy or sell just to fool all the engineers and rocket scientists? I may have had something to sell from day dot and have been painfully counting down, or the 50 posts count might purely be incidental. All I'm trying to say is, when does it become a non issue? Say the minimum post count is raised to 500... If my 501st post is a for sale thread am I still fooling anyone?

Anyway.... I promise something special for #50  8)

It's a fair point but I would say that if the limit was 500 and you posted a For Sale thread on your 501st then you've probably earned the right to....! Also, people on the forum would have had a chance to know what you're all about and vice versa...Actually! Great idea, let's make it 500!  ;) :D

tim2000s

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • If I only could bat....
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »

FYI - All video links should now show up in the post you place them in - as per Paul's recent reviews

Please note that this is for a test period while we determine whether it impacts the load on the forum server. If there are issues, we will have to disable it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:01:08 PM by tim2000s »

uknsaunders

• Forum Legend
    • Farmers CC
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »

might get tested in a minute

tushar sehgal

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2013, 05:45:56 AM »

Just wondering if there is some sort of an update happening to the forum? I logged in but i dont see my messages, profile tabs on top...all i see is home, help, login & register even though i am logged in and posting!!!

johnnyw

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+16)
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »

What is the purpose of a green watched sign in peoples profiles? I noticed one beside simmy and someone else
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Advertise on CBF