Scuff Sheet Longevity
Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Scuff Sheet Longevity  (Read 1645 times)

Purist90

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Scuff Sheet Longevity
« on: March 24, 2023, 10:48:55 AM »

Hi all,
I’ve had a bat stored in the spare room for 3 years since I bought it new. It’s been kept in a bat sleeve well away from any extreme temperatures. Had a shop/manufacturer fitted clear scuff sheet and toe guard fitted when bought new. Every 6 months I’ve oiled and bat waxed the back and open wood areas.

Just wondering if the bat is still good to play with as it is, or if 3 years of face covering has sapped all the moisture out and needs removing for a good oiling before hotter days arrive?
Cheers

Kulli

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Herr Kaleun
Re: Scuff Sheet Longevity
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 12:01:44 PM »

Probably ok, give the rest of the bat an oil and give it a try.
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!

Chad

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+22)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 01:13:15 PM »

Think there was a topic on this posted a little while back - http://custombats.co.uk/cbforum/index.php?topic=50175.0

It should be fine - the scuff sheet will have kept the face sealed, so you should be covered on that front. Should note that oiling does not add moisture to the bat - it just helps prevent significant moisture fluctuation. (I think the misconception is because it can remove the sandy dry feel of the timber) If sealed and stored correctly, a quick run through with the mallet and some throw downs and nets to assess if you'll need further knocking is what I'd imagine is required. What bat is it out of interest?

Purist90

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »

Thanks Chad.
I didn’t think to look in the batmaker section. Yes I agree that easing it back in with mallet and throw downs initially is good idea.
It’s a Salix Alba I bought in 2020 when they were going cheaper end of season/year sale. Likely was a Black Friday deal.
But very handy advice for future scuff sheet use.
Look forward to more videos Chad?
Have a great summer

crystalmais

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 11:29:02 AM »

Hi have a quick question, been buying the same brand of bats for my son for the last 3 years. He has had a refurb come back and we brought a G3 too. Both bats scuff sheets have bubbled and come away in the middle. This is after a few weeks of use. The supplier uses the Hammer edge sheets. We have never had it with his other bats.
Is it ok to continue using a bat like that?

His kit is kept in a spare room we have, the temperature is around 20 degrees. Just wondering if its down to the temperature?

Chad

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 12:13:43 PM »

Hi have a quick question, been buying the same brand of bats for my son for the last 3 years. He has had a refurb come back and we brought a G3 too. Both bats scuff sheets have bubbled and come away in the middle. This is after a few weeks of use. The supplier uses the Hammer edge sheets. We have never had it with his other bats.
Is it ok to continue using a bat like that?

His kit is kept in a spare room we have, the temperature is around 20 degrees. Just wondering if its down to the temperature?

Not by anychance Keeley or Newbery is it? (Only two I can think of off the top of my head who use Hammer Edge) Did the bats have Hammer Edge before and have this happen too? Could be a range of things, but most likely a slightly faulty batch of scuff sheets if it's just happened now, but been fine in the past...

crystalmais

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 12:24:19 PM »

Not by anychance Keeley or Newbery is it? (Only two I can think of off the top of my head who use Hammer Edge) Did the bats have Hammer Edge before and have this happen too? Could be a range of things, but most likely a slightly faulty batch of scuff sheets if it's just happened now, but been fine in the past...

Yes is one of the brands - the bat that went back for refurb did have hammer edge and had no issues with the original sheet that was on before. The new one came with it and started coming away after about 6 hours of usage. I was just wondering if its a temperature in the room thing and also if he should carry on using it. I'm absolutely useless at anything that requires manual work with my hands (ive read the sticker and scuff sheet removal post), so don't want to go knackering his bat, but its also a ball ache sending it back to supplier in terms of time and cost just for new scuff sheet. My lad trains 4 days a week at the county so needs his bats so difficult to send anything back at the moment

Chad

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 12:30:31 PM »

Yes is one of the brands - the bat that went back for refurb did have hammer edge and had no issues with the original sheet that was on before. The new one came with it and started coming away after about 6 hours of usage. I was just wondering if its a temperature in the room thing and also if he should carry on using it. I'm absolutely useless at anything that requires manual work with my hands (ive read the sticker and scuff sheet removal post), so don't want to go knackering his bat, but its also a ball ache sending it back to supplier in terms of time and cost just for new scuff sheet. My lad trains 4 days a week at the county so needs his bats so difficult to send anything back at the moment

Could you provide some clear pictures please of the affected area/scuff? I doubt it would be the temperature of the room, as 20 is fine.

crystalmais

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 12:57:19 PM »

Could you provide some clear pictures please of the affected area/scuff? I doubt it would be the temperature of the room, as 20 is fine.

Uploaded here, the supplier were not too sure too so have have sent new sheets in the post to me.

https://i.postimg.cc/C1b27C5Q/bat1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Gp690DrR/bat-2.jpg

Chad

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 03:01:38 PM »

Uploaded here, the supplier were not too sure too so have have sent new sheets in the post to me.

https://i.postimg.cc/C1b27C5Q/bat1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Gp690DrR/bat-2.jpg

Yeah, it's not normal for that to happen - glad they're sorting you out. If you need help with removal of current scuff prior to applying the fresh one, there are plenty of guides around. You'll need a hairdryer/heat gun, 180, 240 & 320 grit sandpaper and depending on the sticky residue left behind, some residue removal product.

crystalmais

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 08:19:41 AM »

Yeah, it's not normal for that to happen - glad they're sorting you out. If you need help with removal of current scuff prior to applying the fresh one, there are plenty of guides around. You'll need a hairdryer/heat gun, 180, 240 & 320 grit sandpaper and depending on the sticky residue left behind, some residue removal product.

Thanks I'll let you know how i get on

Advertise on CBF