Forum Features
Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Forum Features  (Read 53181 times)

manno

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Forum Features
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »

8 posts to go Manno unless I reset your post count to zero  :D

You aren't missing much, apart from Dan's spare m&h vault, Wilkie's quarterly sale, Simmy's 1 month old bat every month, Fattus doing some kind of great but not so great deal and Redders doing a cheap sale of little things every other week.

The point is from my perspective is to encourage interaction with the forum. The post count could be less or more but people who want to be involved will hit it sooner rather than later.

Ha! You wouldn't! Well you could.....

Anyway i do like the idea of wanting people to contribute, and more and more people being involved. Growing the community.. Blah blah blah... But you don't think theres some that are seeing their once clicky little boys club being diluted with "lurkers" like me?

That could put some noses out of joint.

All i know is that if i were one of the forum dinosaurs, the thing id dread more than anything else would be an influx of "Whats the best bat?" threads!  :D

Vitas Cricket

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Cricket Retailer & Coaching Centre in Peterborough
    • Vitas Cricket
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »

Ha! You wouldn't! Well you could.....

Anyway i do like the idea of wanting people to contribute, and more and more people being involved. Growing the community.. Blah blah blah... But you don't think theres some that are seeing their once clicky little boys club being diluted with "lurkers" like me?

That could put some noses out of joint.

All i know is that if i were one of the forum dinosaurs, the thing id dread more than anything else would be an influx of "Whats the best bat?" threads!  :D

This sort of thing will always happen as a forum grows. It has to be accepted as a product of becoming a more popular place to visit for people. The positives usually outweigh the negatives though, hopefully more knowledgable people will sign up and contribute too. 

uknsaunders

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Farmers CC
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »

we are here to help and offer advice. We love best bat threads! I don't think it's much of a boys club, membership is worldwide and all ages. The things that brings us together is the love of cricket, not sales threads.  If you can't find 50 things to post about on this forum you can't like your cricket that much  :)
email and googletalk: uknsaunders@gmail.com
club website: http://www.farmerscricketjersey.net/

Dan W

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »

The thing is, it's genuinely sensible to make people pause a bit before leaping in and snapping up the first bargain bat they see.

Win win all round IMO.

Dan W

• County 1st XI
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »

we are here to help and offer advice. We love best bat threads! I don't think it's much of a boys club, membership is worldwide and all ages. The things that brings us together is the love of cricket, not sales threads.  If you can't find 50 things to post about on this forum you can't like your cricket that much  :)

Got it in one.

Or iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as they used to say on Bullseye :)

manno

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »

If you can't find 50 things to post about on this forum you can't like your cricket that much  :)

Now theres a beautiful full stop to put on this thread!

Six Sixes Cricket

• Forum Sponsor
  • World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+20)
    • Six Sixes Cricket Ltd
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »

It's quite funny to think of the new guys reading all about this untapped exclusive secret bounty of cheap, amazing second hand willow, seemingly at giveaway prices, counting each post as one more step towards this nirvana only talked about in hushed tones...

...Only to find a load of MSR's that people got for free, 3lb monsters that pick up like 3lb4, a GN Legend on it's 15th appearance in the FS section, and Nathrobbo's BAS at a £10 discount from the RRP (which I will promise to buy if it's not sold by next xmas :) )

(That said, I do think it's a great move - and will make the FS section work better as the buyers will be more edumacated when they come to purchase etc)

Now where's the like button!!

LDifa

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »

It can't be easy running a forum like this, and whilst I have missed seeing the for sale thread, my wallet now has chance to breath!
It isn't the end of the world, I already have an extra pair of pads from the thread and two bats on the way, not to mention the brilliant service from IJC on my aero strippers, .

I joined the forum to learn the bargains have just been an added bonus:)

token

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2013, 12:40:54 AM »

I thought the forum was trying to protect it's revenue stream which I'm led to believe is the sponsors? Surely a sponsor wants his goods seen/purchased by the largest amount of people as possible; all members of the community including the "lurkers?" Won't this elitist approach suggested by Ciaran ostracise the lurkers and affect all of the above?

RightArmRapid

• County 1st XI
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 01:25:55 AM »

I thought the forum was trying to protect it's revenue stream which I'm led to believe is the sponsors? Surely a sponsor wants his goods seen/purchased by the largest amount of people as possible; all members of the community including the "lurkers?" Won't this elitist approach suggested by Ciaran ostracise the lurkers and affect all of the above?
Sponsors tend to sell within their own sections...not the for sale thread. If someone is bothered by the inability to buy or sell kit they probably came here to trade goods rather than discuss cricket! I've never bought or sold anything from this forum (I'm always broke :(). I do see your point though, just don't necessarily agree ;)

token

• First XI Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:22 AM »

Hypothetical situation: I just join the forum and read how Dave thinks his laver is the best bat he's ever used. I then read how Simmy thinks how awfully they are pressed. I'm not prepared to pay full price in case it's rubbish. However, one appears in the for sale section because the handle is too small/too heavy/toe too slippery etc. I purchase it and take it to nets. It goes like a train. Next day my teammates put in an order.
Furthermore, the seller has £X in his pocket which he will inevitably spend on more gear to feed his addiction. All results in happy sponsors.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:52:04 AM by token »

smokem

• County 1st XI
Forum Features - Trader Feedback
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »

I'd like to suggest a feature if I may...

Can we show users' trader feedback rating at all times - ie next to users' avatar? Right now the only way to see this is to go into a user's profile. If I had not read blankbats post in his section asking for people's trader feedback, I wouldn't even know this feature existed. This should be fairly easy to implement as I see this feature on other forums I participate in.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:57:44 AM by smokem »

RightArmRapid

• County 1st XI
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:51 AM »

Hypothetical situation: I just join the forum and read how Dave thinks his laver is the best bat he's ever used. I then read how Simmy thinks how awfully they are pressed. I'm not prepared to pay full price in case it's rubbish. However, one appears in the for sale section because the handle is too small/too heavy/toe too slippery etc. I purchase it and take it to nets. It goes like a train. Next day my teammates put in an order.
Furthermore, the seller has £X in his pocket which he will inevitably spend on more gear to feed his addiction. All results in happy sponsors.
If the sponsors feel it will hurt their revenue they can speak out but till then......Let's alter your hypothetical slightly, your team mates see how well it goes, then decide that they'll join the forum to grab some cheap deals in the for sale section, to finance the new purchase they need to sell their old gear, in order to do that they need to get to 50 posts. These team mates race to 50 posts filling the forum with spam and then when they've got what they want they never post again. All the while money has gone into the pockets of those who sold the lavers (example you used) but none of this money goes to the forum sponsor. If the for sale section is locked to these people if they want a laver they're forced to contact laver direct in order to purchase the bat. Now I could be chatting complete and utter crap in this post, but if the sponsors have a problem with it surely they should speak out?

alba caerulea

• International Captain
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »

However, one appears in the for sale section because the handle is too small/too heavy/toe too slippery etc.

The old slippery toe is becoming a common fault  :D 

RightArmRapid

• County 1st XI
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 02:31:43 AM »

To elaborate I don't personlly know too many people who would buy a bat because the one their team mate had was a gun. I know far more who won't buy a bat because the one their team mate had was a plank. Of those who bought a bat based on someone else havin good experiences with their bat, most of them sold the bat om because it wasn't as good as the one their friend got. Anyway that's my tuppence worth!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Advertise on CBF